St. John’s Church in Haapsalu, a town church rebuilt from a granary, first mentioned in writing in 1513, is a Lutheran church which has been active without interruption since 1524. In the church there is a stone altar wall, created by Joachim Winter in 1630. The stone altar is rare in the whole Northern Europe. Its central motif, a high relief depicting 'Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane' is also unusual. The tombstone of the first known pastor, Joachim Jacobi (1581-1587), lies on the ground in front of the altar. The wooden pulpit with baroque-style wooden carvings dates back to 1707. Two bells, the older of which is from 1590, toll in the church tower.