The romantic lighthouse, located on the beautiful sandstone bank and shaped like a four-sided truncated pyramid with a slab roof, was completed in 1859. Together with the Suurupi stone lighthouse, the lighthouses form a target of 246.5⁰, which aids vessels leaving the Tallinn Bay between the shallows of Naissaar and Vahemadal.
The lighthouse is the oldest working wooden lighthouse in Northern Europe and is among the 100 most valuable operating historical lighthouses of the International Association of Marine Aids to Navigation and Lighthouse Authorities (IALA).
The whole lighthouse complex is a private estate. Visits to the complex must be booked in advance. The lighthouse is being renovated during 2023-2024.